Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Fun in the Out of Doors, Surprising Book Finds, and Haikuesday 5/4/2010


Spring finally seems to be here to stay in KC, just in time for Summer to come and make everything unbearably hot. Gotta love the Midwest. :-) But because we've had such nice weather lately, I've been able to be outside and enjoy the season. One way we did that was by celebrating my good friend Ashley's birthday this past Saturday!


(Ashley, looking very no-nonsense and drinking her Schlitz Tall Boy)

After a wine tasting at Gomers, we had a wonderful day of Bocce Ball, Washers, Fake Tattoos, Chicken & Ribs (cooked by Tom), Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes (baked by me) & Dance Parties in the living room. All in all, Saturday has been added to my list of perfect days. :-)

(Carolyn, Ashley & Me)

Then Sunday, Daniel and I both decided to start living the Suburbia Dream and worked on the landscaping/lawn. I trimmed bushes, planted things and even put down new mulch. My back hurt like crazy on Monday since I carted around 40 lb bags of junk all day, but I’m pretty proud of our work, especially since I’m known among friends as Black Thumb Beth.

In other news (of the indoor sort) I have decided to read my way through the Top 100 Children's Novels (from the Elizabeth Bird's Fuse 8 Blog). I'll be reading all the books, even the ones I've read before, and here are some of my most recent:

  • When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead - WOW. I was amazed by this novel, and Daniel can back me up on that. I don't know how many dirty looks he shot me over the course of me reading it because of my frequent exclamations. "Oh my Gosh!" I'd scream, then when he asked what was happening, I'd just say I didn't want to spoil it for him and keep reading, only to cry out again in the next chapter. Read it and remind yourself why Kids Lit is wonderful.
  • The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis - I listened to the audio of this with Lavar Burton narrating. I was so pleased to read this funny, true to life, and moving story of the Weird Watsons, and Burton perfectly embodies the voice of the young narrator. A great read and a wonderful listen.
  • The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo - I had big doubts going into this book for no reason other than the previews for the movie made it look really silly (in a bad way). Thank God I picked it up anyway. What a lovely and charming story. I just finished this yesterday, and all I want to do now is eat soup!

And now...don't think I've forgotten that it's Haikuesday! I wrote both these this afternoon. The first was born out of frustration regarding ye olde crappy job, but the second is a sort of present for Jeanne at Necromancy Never Pays about a certain poet who didn't like us interpreting his work. :-)

Today - another
moment of pretending its
another - today.


Dear F.W.
your Verse opened up my mind
till YOU closed it shut.


And that's all I have for today. Enjoy the weather, enjoy life, and enjoy some Haikuesday fun!


-over and out-

No comments: